2018 SEF Research Grants Awarded
The Sales Education Foundation is proud to announce the recipients of our 2018 SEF Research Grant Program. Grants of $5,000 each were awarded to:
• Scott Friend (Miami University), Kumar Rakesh Ranjan (Indian Institute of Calcutta) and Jeff S. Johnson, Ph.D. (University of Missouri-Kansas City) for their proposal titled Failing Fast; Assessing the contingent benefits of salesperson failing fast on performance and attitudinal outcomes.
• Ryan Mullins (Clemson University) for his proposal titled Uncovering the Impact of Sales Force Capabilities on Firm Performance.
Winning proposals were evaluated by an independent selection committee chaired by Dr. Leff Bonney, SEF Advisory Board member and Associate Professor at Florida State University. We congratulate this year’s recipients and look forward to the completion of their papers and publication.
SEF has awarded over $100,000 in research grants and awards since the program began in 2011 through a partnership with Neil Rackham, well-known author of “SPIN Selling.” Read our news release
Importance of Research into Business Issues
Sales specific research is needed to bridge the gap between academia and industry. Sales managers need easy access to published research where they can find best practices and solid methodology for dealing with their daily challenges. In addition, researchers need information on the various calls for papers issued by journals and sales-focused conferences. Until recently, information has been challenging to access.
Our commitment to Sales research is supported in part by the SEF Research Grant Program. In addition, other Sales research shared with SEF is posted below. You’ll also find posted calls for papers for conferences and special journal publications. Please connect with us via our Questions and Suggestions feature below if you’d like to see a paper added.
SEF/NEIL RACKHAM RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAM
According to Neil Rackham, “the time has come for new approaches to customer interaction.” Since 2011, $5,000 research grants have been awarded annually. Links to published papers appear below. Efforts have been made to ensure accuracy. Please note we do not list papers that require a fee to access the published paper. If you discover a non-working link or other issue, please contact SEF.
Grant recipients by year:
2015 – Dr. V. Kumar – “Why Do Salespeople Quit? An Empirical Examination of Own and Peer Effects on Salesperson Turnover Behavior”
AMA Journal of Marketing Research
2015 – Blake Runnalls – “The Impact of Social Networks on Sales Training Transfer and Performance” Read the Summary Report.
2013 – Drs. Nick Panagopoulos and Adam Rapp – “Adaptive Sales Capabilities and Sales Performance” Read the summary report.
2013 – Craig C. Chapman, Jeffrey Patrick Boichuk, Thomas J. Steenburgh, Michael Ahearne – “Real Earnings Management in Sales”
Journal of Accounting Research
2012 – Mark P. Leach and Annie H. Liu – “It ain’t over ’til it’s over: Evaluating Reacquisition Opportunities in Business-to-Business Markets”
Industrial Marketing Management
2011 – Zachary R. Hall, Michael Ahearne, & Harish Sujan – “The Importance of Starting Right: The Influence of Accurate Intuition on Performance in Salesperson–Customer Interactions.”
AMA Journal link
POSTED – CALL FOR PAPERS
Conferences and journals offer researchers the opportunity to submit papers for consideration. See current open calls below:
- Journal of Service Research Special Issue, “The Interface of Sales and Service.” Deadline September 21, 2018. More information
- JPSSM, The Boundary Special Section. Initial deadline for inaugural issue -November 1, 2018. More information
- NCSM – National Conference in Sales Management Call for Papers. Deadline October 31, 2018 More information
SHARED PUBLISHED RESEARCH
Find links to published sales research of interest to professionals and academics below. We invite you to share your research with your colleagues and industry practitioners. Please email SEF.
- AACSB article by Dr. Jane Sojka, University of Cincinnati:
Helping Women Conquer Confidence Killers
- “Fitting A Square Peg Into A Square Hole,”presented at the MMA Fall Educators’ Conference – Fall 2015 by Alex Milovic, Marquette University and Rebecca Dingus, Central Michigan University:
- Florida State University Sales Institute – Executive Summary:
Research Shows that Sales Center Education Makes a Substantial