Announcing the 2019 SEF Research Grant Program Awards
The Sales Education Foundation is proud to announce the recipients of our 2019 SEF Research Grant Program. Grants of $5,000 each were awarded to:
• Victor Chernetsky (Michigan State University) for his proposal titled, “The Role of Senior Executives and Organizational Culture in Management of Conflict Between Sales and Marketing.” His adviser is Douglas E. Hughes, Ph.D.
• Yeji Lim (University of Missouri) for her proposal titled, “Motivating Salespeople to Work Smarter and Harder: A Behavioral Economics and Agency-theoretic Approach.” Her adviser is Murali Mantrala, Ph.D.
• Alec Pappas (Florida State University) for his proposal titled,”The Turnover Pandemic: A Network Perspective on Salesperson Turnover Contagion. His adviser is Willy Bolander, Ph.D.
We congratulate this year’s recipients and look forward to the completion of their papers and publication.
SEF has awarded over $125,000 in research grants and awards since the program began in 2011 through a partnership with Neil Rackham, well-known author of “SPIN Selling.” Read our news release.
The Importance of Research into Business Issues
Sales specific research is needed to bridge the gap between academia and industry. Sales managers need easy access to published research where they can find best practices and solid methodology for dealing with their daily challenges. One challenge that sales teams sometimes encounter is knowing how to use customer feedback to generate further business. Intercom is a software platform that allows companies to communicate with their customers through the use of an integrated messaging service. Correspondingly, HubSpot inbound marketing tools and software can be synced with Intercom as a way of taking customer stories and turning them into content that converts. To learn more, check out this guide to hubspot intercom integration. In addition, researchers need information on the various calls for papers issued by journals and sales-focused conferences. Until recently, information has been challenging to access.
Our commitment to Sales research is supported in part by the SEF Research Grant Program. You’ll also find posted calls for papers for conferences and special journal publications. Please connect with us via our Questions and Suggestions feature below if you’d like to see a paper added.
SEF/NEIL RACKHAM RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAM
According to Neil Rackham, “the time has come for new approaches to customer interaction.” Since 2011, $5,000 research grants have been awarded annually. Links to published papers appear below. Efforts have been made to ensure accuracy. Please note we do not list papers that require a fee to access the published paper. If you discover a non-working link or other issue, please contact SEF.
Grant recipients by year:
2015 – Dr. V. Kumar – “Why Do Salespeople Quit? An Empirical Examination of Own and Peer Effects on Salesperson Turnover Behavior”
AMA Journal of Marketing Research
2015 – Blake Runnalls – “The Impact of Social Networks on Sales Training Transfer and Performance” Read the Summary Report.
2013 – Drs. Nick Panagopoulos and Adam Rapp – “Adaptive Sales Capabilities and Sales Performance” Read the summary report.
2013 – Craig C. Chapman, Jeffrey Patrick Boichuk, Thomas J. Steenburgh, Michael Ahearne – “Real Earnings Management in Sales”
Journal of Accounting Research
2012 – Mark P. Leach and Annie H. Liu – “It ain’t over ’til it’s over: Evaluating Reacquisition Opportunities in Business-to-Business Markets”
Industrial Marketing Management
2011 – Zachary R. Hall, Michael Ahearne, & Harish Sujan – “The Importance of Starting Right: The Influence of Accurate Intuition on Performance in Salesperson–Customer Interactions.”
AMA Journal link
POSTED – CALL FOR PAPERS
Conferences and journals offer researchers the opportunity to submit papers for consideration. See current open calls below:
- Journal of Marketing Analytics Special Issue – Analytics and Sales – Call for Proposals. Deadline November 30, 2019. More information
- GSSI 2020 – Global Sales Science Institute Call for Papers. Deadline January 10, 2020. More information
- Journal of Selling Special Issue – Sales Training. Deadline September 1, 2020. More information